Skip to main content

Floral "Hex tile" cards

 Greetings crafty friends. Today I'm sharing some fun and easy cards I made using Spellbinders Hex Tile stamps with their clear stamp of the month for August 2021. I picked this stamp set up on sale but sadly didn't get the coordinating die set.

Stamp set by Spellbinders "Hextile" clear stamp of the month August 2021
Stamp Set

Floral card using spellbinders hex tile stamps
I like the paint splatter in this one.

Since I don't have the die set I decided to do a flat card. I didn't want to bother with fussy cutting. I stamped images into the corners of my cardstock using the Misti stamp tool and Memento black ink. Next, I colored in the flowers with Prismacolor colored pencils and opted not to "build" them with the included stamps. I blended my colored pencil using some mineral spirits and a brush for a watercolor-like effect. After the flowers were colored I restamped my images to make the lines bolder. This is easily done using the Misti and makes a big difference in the finished product. I used watercolor to outline the design in light blue and then splattered it with some Liquitex liquid acrylic paint making sure to cover my flower images. The silver "celebrate" sentiment and heart stickers are also from Spellbinders. To finish this card off I added some black gems and layered my panel onto black cardstock before mounting it all to my A2 card.

Horizontal greeting card. Floral with ink splatter, using spellbinders hex tile stamps August 2021
I really love Catherine Pooler's inks.

With this card, I stamped my images in all corners and used the flower builder stamps to color in the flower images. I also stamped some green leaf fronds to fill in the empty space in the middle of the design. I tested out my new Catherine Pooler ink pads from the Date Night collection and really love how bright and vibrant the finished flowers are. I stamped over my flower images again in Memento black ink to make the lines bolder. I did have a bit of an offset on one of the images, but it's handmade and imperfection is part of the charm, right? Again, I did some splattering with Liquitex liquid acrylic making sure to cover most of my flower images. I stamped the "life is better with you" sentiment from the stamp set onto a die-cut and heat embossed it with Versafine ink and Wow clear embossing powder. I added a few black gems and layered the panel onto black cardstock then mounted it to the card base.

Ink splattered Spellbinders Hex tile greeting card.
Using Distress Oxides and Catherine Pooler Inks

This card is a tad bit messy but I still think it works. I went through the same previous steps for stamping my images. I used a combination of the Date Dight Catherine Pooler inks and some Distressed Oxides. You may notice one set of flowers is a bit brighter than the other and this is because I stamped the flower builder stamps twice with new ink each time, instead of just once on the other image. I opted to use a yellow watercolor background and ended up running some of the pigment into one of my flower sets. The paint splattering was also a bit clumsy as you can see my large splatter mark. 😅 I opted for some petite black ribbon wrapped around my card panel and secured it on the back with some tape before mounting the layered die-cut sentiment onto the middle. Again, I layered this panel onto black cardstock and mounted it to the base.

Thinking of you card using hextile stamps set from spellbinders.
I actually like all the space in this card. 

This card is actually the first one I made using the stamp set. Because of the corner shape of the flower stamp, I found few options for placement other than around the edges of the cardstock. I suppose I could have come up with more design options had I wanted to fussy cut individual flowers from the stamped images. Here you can see I kept the flowers to the bottom of the card and left an ample amount of space for splatter. In this card, I used the colored pencil, and mineral spirit technique to color the flowers.  I had the "thinking of you" sentiment hanging out on my desk and plopped it on. As for the rest of the card, you know the drill, splatter, gems, layer, and mount. 

Thanks for checking out my blog today. If you've got questions or comments drop them below. If you like my content and want to see more, follow me on IG @craftinbish. Now, go make something! 😀


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tools for New Paper Crafters

Are you a new paper crafter?         Hi crafty friends! If you're here checking out my blog it's because you're a paper enthusiast like me. Today's discussion is for those who are new to the world of paper crafting and are curious about what basic supplies every paper crafter needs in their arsenal to make beautiful pieces they'll love and want to share. Here are my top five supplies or supply groups, that have made all the difference in my creations.      The staples of my craft room are scissors, glues and adhesives, paper, and ink. If you're going to make cards, art journals, collages, or create happy mail you'll need these basic items to get started. Stamps are also another important staple in the craft room, but we'll leave that for another post.  1. Cut   You'll need a large pair of scissors to make bigger cuts for things like taking images out of a magazine. You'll also need a smaller pair for fussy cutting or doing detailed cuts in tight

Floral Gold Foiled Greeting Cards

Spellbinders Glimmer of the Month November 2022 Good morning crafty friends. Today I'm sharing with you cards I've made using the Spellbinders glimmer of the month for November 2022, "Glimmer Edge Stylized Floral". One of my favorite features of this month's glimmer plate is that the design is all connected in one piece instead of having separate pieces to manage. This makes foiling and die-cutting a breeze since there's no fussing with aligning all the elements perfectly during the process. You're able to use less foil and cardstock with this design. Thanks, Spellbinders for the efficiency. I also used Spellbinders embossing folder of the month for Nov. 22 to create the background panel. All these cards are A2 size.  Reverse foiling technique colored with distressed oxides. In this first design, I used a reverse foiling technique and a solid plate to pull the leftover image off an already-used piece of foil. I didn't get the foil transfer

“Sew Happy” Card Kit of the Month

Shaker card.  Hey, y’all! I hope everyone is doing well and having lots of fun creating beautiful things. For today's post, I’m backtracking to September 2022 card kit of the month from Spellbinders called “Sew Happy”. This card kit is filled with craft-themed items to create your cards. I made close to 40 cards with all the bits and bobs from the kit!! I'm never disappointed with the value of these card kits.  The card above and below are shaker cards I created using chipboard embroidery hoops included in the kit and a few pieces of acetate from my stash. The card base on top is one from my stash and the base on the bottom is one included in the kit. The only other elements I've added from my supplies are the glitter pieces inside the embroidery hoops and the Pops of Color and Nuvo drops. I appreciate the variety of pieces that are included in the kits because you're able to make cards in so many different styles.  Shaker card. Spellbinders "Sew Happy" Septem