Skip to main content

Floral Gold Foiled Greeting Cards

Spellbinders glimmer of the month November 2022
Spellbinders Glimmer of the Month November 2022

Good morning crafty friends. Today I'm sharing with you cards I've made using the Spellbinders glimmer of the month for November 2022, "Glimmer Edge Stylized Floral". One of my favorite features of this month's glimmer plate is that the design is all connected in one piece instead of having separate pieces to manage. This makes foiling and die-cutting a breeze since there's no fussing with aligning all the elements perfectly during the process. You're able to use less foil and cardstock with this design. Thanks, Spellbinders for the efficiency. I also used Spellbinders embossing folder of the month for Nov. 22 to create the background panel. All these cards are A2 size. 

Example of reverse foiling technique in card making.
Reverse foiling technique colored with distressed oxides.
In this first design, I used a reverse foiling technique and a solid plate to pull the leftover image off an already-used piece of foil. I didn't get the foil transfer I was hoping for so I added some color to help the design along. Mounting the flowers to craft paper gave the pieces more of a shabby-chic feel. I used distressed oxides to paint the initial color layer then went back over with deeper shades of ink and a dry brush to add depth. I used the "sending love" sentiment from Spellbinders clear stamp of the month for Nov. 22. 

Intense colors, Jane Davenport colored pencils, card making.
Intense colors with Jane Davenport colored pencils.
I love the vibrancy of colors in this card design. The foil transferred beautifully as well. To color the pieces I used Jane Davenport Magic Wand colored pencils and blended my shades together with Gamisol mineral spirits. The sentiment is from the glimmer plate set. I really like the combination of colors on this card. 

Glimmer hot foil all-occasions card design.
All-occasions elegant card. 

My next card is simple and elegant. In keeping the color pallet neutral, with the exception of the blue ribbon, I've created an all-occasions card. Using the "sending love" sentiment allows the sender to use this card for just about anything. 

Card created using reverse foiling and distress oxides.
Reverse foiled die-cut elements and Distressed Oxides. 

This card was created using the reverse foiling technique. Again, the foil transfer wasn't the best so I used some distress oxides and a smooshing technique for a watercolor effect. Mounting the embossed panel on a gold background helps elevate the imperfect floral elements. Send this card to someone with their favorite color purple, hehe. 

Unique heat foiled card design.
Pretty patina feel to this card. 
I used the reverse foiling technique on these flowers and foiled them onto black card stock. It was a bit challenging to read the sentiment so I dabbed some white pigment ink onto my glimmer plate and used it as an embossing plate. Then I decided to add some clear embossing powder to my ink and heat embossed the die cuts. After heat embossing the ending result was more clear than white. The moral of the story is to experiment with different techniques and stretch your tools for really unique results. 

I enjoy the versatility of using foiled elements for card making. Using reverse foiling with a solid plate may not come out perfect, but it still produces nice results. This was my first time using the solid plate, so I'm sure with some practice I'll be able to achieve more of a solid foil transfer. 

Thanks for stopping in and checking out my blog. I hope you're feeling inspired and will give some foiling a try today. Hop on over to my Instagram, @craftinbish, to check out more paper crafts and cards. Have a great day! 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tools for New Paper Crafters

Are you a new paper crafter?         Hi crafty friends! If you're here checking out my blog it's because you're a paper enthusiast like me. Today's discussion is for those who are new to the world of paper crafting and are curious about what basic supplies every paper crafter needs in their arsenal to make beautiful pieces they'll love and want to share. Here are my top five supplies or supply groups, that have made all the difference in my creations.      The staples of my craft room are scissors, glues and adhesives, paper, and ink. If you're going to make cards, art journals, collages, or create happy mail you'll need these basic items to get started. Stamps are also another important staple in the craft room, but we'll leave that for another post.  1. Cut   You'll need a large pair of scissors to make bigger cuts for things like taking images out of a magazine. You'll also need a smaller pair for fussy cutting or doing detailed cuts in tight

“Sew Happy” Card Kit of the Month

Shaker card.  Hey, y’all! I hope everyone is doing well and having lots of fun creating beautiful things. For today's post, I’m backtracking to September 2022 card kit of the month from Spellbinders called “Sew Happy”. This card kit is filled with craft-themed items to create your cards. I made close to 40 cards with all the bits and bobs from the kit!! I'm never disappointed with the value of these card kits.  The card above and below are shaker cards I created using chipboard embroidery hoops included in the kit and a few pieces of acetate from my stash. The card base on top is one from my stash and the base on the bottom is one included in the kit. The only other elements I've added from my supplies are the glitter pieces inside the embroidery hoops and the Pops of Color and Nuvo drops. I appreciate the variety of pieces that are included in the kits because you're able to make cards in so many different styles.  Shaker card. Spellbinders "Sew Happy" Septem