Skip to main content

Peony Splatter Greeting Cards

 Hello, wonderful crafting friends. Hope you're all feeling inspired to create and have been cleaning your crafting space as you go. 😋 I'm the messiest crafter ever and usually have to spend time picking up and putting things away because I've run out of every inch of space possible and lost all my tools under the clutter. HA! When inspiration hits, you just have to run with it, right?

Today's greeting cards go hand in hand with being a bit of a messy crafter. Often my cards will have smudges on them or imperfections, which is expected to some extent as this is a handmade item. I don't really understand how exactly this happens, but it just does. When the smudges can't be erased using a pink eraser, I LOVE splattering my cards with some acrylic paint. Not only does this look cool and artsy, but it's also fun to do and hides any small or large imperfections you may have in your design. 

Pink Peony hand made greeting card with ink splatter and a sentiment that says "it's a good day to be happy" . The card is in green grass.
Card using Catherine Pooler Date Night inks

In creating this series of cards I picked up a clear peony builder stamp by hip, stamp, hooray, or American Crafts at my local hobby lobby. I went in for paper and came out with a stamp. It's totally acceptable as this stamp was a little over four dollars with the 40% off sale that was happening at the time. 

I was in the mood to create some one-dimensional cards instead of the usual layered card I'm used to making. I cut my card bases to just under A2 size, around four inches wide by five and a quarter inches tall. Using my Misti stamping tool I began building my peonies using a combination of inks. I did test out my new Catherine Pooler ink pads from the date night collection and absolutely love them. The flowers with the brighter more vibrant hues are done with date night inks. I also used some distressed oxides, versa fine and dew drop ink pads. Mixing inks is fine as long as you're cleaning your stamp off before going into another ink pad and heat setting your work as you go. Experimentation is always the best teacher.

Blue Peony hand made greeting card with bright blue ink splatters and three blue sequins mounted on a yellow card base. The sentiment reads "wishing you brighter days". The card is sitting in green spring grass.
I love the bright blue ink splatters!

Once my flowers were built and the ink set I used some watercolor paint to outline my stamped images and create somewhat of a background. Using a heat gun I dried my watercolor background before applying acrylic paint spatters. You'll want to make sure your paper is dry before applying the acrylic paint to prevent all the liquid from running together and creating a big muddy mess. I used a cardboard box lid from a case of paper as my splatter tray. It's easy to move around my craft room and contains the paint when splattering so it doesn't fly all over the place. For splatter: mix any kind of acrylic paint with a small amount of water, load up your brush and tap away over your image. You may or may not want to cover up your flower from the paint splatter with a piece of scrap paper. I opted not to cover my flowers up and concentrated the paint on my background rather than the blooms. The paint splatter was pretty thick and heavy so I set my cards aside to dry rather than attempting to dry them with a heat gun. 

Multicolored peony hand-made greeting card with pink ink splatters. The card sentiments read "Hello. Shine like the Stars". Card is in green, spring grass
I love the different colored ink splatters and black gems.

When my cards were dry I mounted them onto a slightly larger piece of cardstock that corresponded with the color scheme. These layered pieces were mounted to another embossed piece of cardstock and then attached to the card base which was A7 size. I found some sentiments and slapped them on. I have a collection of pre-stamped sentiments that I'm able to pull from to streamline the process a bit. To finish these off, I added some black gems to some cards and some matching colored sequins to others. Use what you have and what you like! 

Black and gold hand-made greeting card with pink peonies and pink ink splatter. Sentiment reads, "Hello. Believe in yourself". Card is sitting in green grass.
I used black acrylic paint for the background and an alcohol marker. 

Hope you enjoyed these ink-splattered cards. Remember to use this trick next time you muss up a creation and see if you can save it or make it better! 

Thank you for checking out my blog. If you like my content please head over to Instagram and hit the follow button. If you ink splatter a project let me know in the comments section and tell me how it went. Create something messy today! 😀

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tools for New Paper Crafters

Are you a new paper crafter?         Hi crafty friends! If you're here checking out my blog it's because you're a paper enthusiast like me. Today's discussion is for those who are new to the world of paper crafting and are curious about what basic supplies every paper crafter needs in their arsenal to make beautiful pieces they'll love and want to share. Here are my top five supplies or supply groups, that have made all the difference in my creations.      The staples of my craft room are scissors, glues and adhesives, paper, and ink. If you're going to make cards, art journals, collages, or create happy mail you'll need these basic items to get started. Stamps are also another important staple in the craft room, but we'll leave that for another post.  1. Cut   You'll need a large pair of scissors to make bigger cuts for things like taking images out of a magazine. You'll also need a smaller pair for fussy cutting or doing detailed cuts in tight

Floral Gold Foiled Greeting Cards

Spellbinders Glimmer of the Month November 2022 Good morning crafty friends. Today I'm sharing with you cards I've made using the Spellbinders glimmer of the month for November 2022, "Glimmer Edge Stylized Floral". One of my favorite features of this month's glimmer plate is that the design is all connected in one piece instead of having separate pieces to manage. This makes foiling and die-cutting a breeze since there's no fussing with aligning all the elements perfectly during the process. You're able to use less foil and cardstock with this design. Thanks, Spellbinders for the efficiency. I also used Spellbinders embossing folder of the month for Nov. 22 to create the background panel. All these cards are A2 size.  Reverse foiling technique colored with distressed oxides. In this first design, I used a reverse foiling technique and a solid plate to pull the leftover image off an already-used piece of foil. I didn't get the foil transfer

“Sew Happy” Card Kit of the Month

Shaker card.  Hey, y’all! I hope everyone is doing well and having lots of fun creating beautiful things. For today's post, I’m backtracking to September 2022 card kit of the month from Spellbinders called “Sew Happy”. This card kit is filled with craft-themed items to create your cards. I made close to 40 cards with all the bits and bobs from the kit!! I'm never disappointed with the value of these card kits.  The card above and below are shaker cards I created using chipboard embroidery hoops included in the kit and a few pieces of acetate from my stash. The card base on top is one from my stash and the base on the bottom is one included in the kit. The only other elements I've added from my supplies are the glitter pieces inside the embroidery hoops and the Pops of Color and Nuvo drops. I appreciate the variety of pieces that are included in the kits because you're able to make cards in so many different styles.  Shaker card. Spellbinders "Sew Happy" Septem